Tuesday, 21 December 2010

Frohe Weihnachten!

So, 105 days since I arrived it is now 'nur noch 1 mal schlafen'* until I finally go home for the first time since early September - hopefully. I would feel a lot happier if there wasn't so much snow, and if all the news headlines weren't about cancelled / delayed flights etc. However, many flights are still leaving, so all being well I should be flying back to the UK tomorrow night - how exciting!!

This last week I had two separate visitors, which was all very lovely :) and involved many a trip to the Christmas markets in the snow. However, in these 7 days I also ... made 4 trips to Cologne airport ... caught 24 trains ... around 10 buses ... and got stranded at Koeln Hbf for 2 hours because of a snow storm.

Schneesturm

Said snow doesn't seem keen to go away. In the last week there have been more days with fresh snowfall, than those without, and consequently we now have about a foot of the stuff. Pretty? Yes. Practical? No.

Unecessary amounts of snow

This morning my first two lessons were cancelled yet again, only this time it wasn't just my class. For some (still unknown to me) reason, Klasse 5 & 6 were given the first 2 lessons off, only some of them didn't even know that (namely the class meant to be going swimming) and nor did half the staff. Cue many annoyed people. I was also caught out again later when asked to give a spontaneous talk to Klasse 5 about Christmas in England... not too difficult at face value, until after saying only about 2 sentences and being greeted with the blankest of blank faces, I realised there was no way in hell that these kids were going to understand me if I carried on in English. Time to whip out some dodgy German and attempt to explain mince pies / Christmas pudding / crackers etc.

Anyway, my suitcase sadly won't pack itself so I'd better go give it some help. As for tomorrow - Daumen drücken / fingers crossed!


* one more sleep


(Dienstag 21. Dezember 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment