Sunday, 9 January 2011

Call me woof

Dear Germany, how I've missed your spontaneity / my ability to agree to things I haven't fully comprehended...

Today I established that I am effectively the replacement for my landlord's muchly missed dog. If only I was joking. On Friday he put food out for me, today he took me for a walk. Need I say more?

I don't even know quite when I agreed to this, but being a Sunday he seemed fearful that I was short of things to do, so after assessing whether my 'suitable shoes' really were suitable or not, off we went for walkies. We drove up to the Bergisches Land (the local countryside / national park) to a spot where we could leave the car. On setting out he explained that this route was where he used to bring his dog... fab.

An hour and a half later, not that much more conversation than a dog would have mustered, and one explanation of the words to 'In Dublin's fair city', we finally arrived back at the car. Instead of going back the way we came, apparently it was time for a tour through some of the local, typical Bergisch villages, a tour which was continually extended until he was no longer lost! Turns out there are some unfortunately named towns here ... the winner of which has to be "Habenichts" - literal translation: 'has nothing'. Poor little village!

No comments:

Post a Comment