Sunday, 3 October 2010

Ein schönes Wochenende :)

Summer sunshine and a 4 day weekend - I like this Auslandsjahr business! So, quick catch up of my weekend thus far...

Friday began with receiving 6 pieces of post (!) including train tickets for Leipzig and my semester ticket - woop! It'd be rude not to take advantage of the free travel so off I went on a day trip to Bonn, but not before I could bump into some pupils also on the train ... and so it begins, the problem of living in the same town as you teach! Still, the sunshine came out in Bonn and it's a really pretty town especially by the Rhine. Also my sense of direction is dramatically improving and I can sniff out tourist information centres without batting an eyelid. I only once walked the best part of a kilometer in the opposite way to where I wanted to be - cue about turn and cyclist dodging in the reverse direction.

Yesterday entailed a lovely day out in Köln with Marina and Heidi. So good to have a day with Englisch people, not to mention that we went to the zoo!! I don't think I've been to a zoo in years, and we even got to stroke a giraffe! It was all very exciting. Happy un-birthday Marina :)

Today was going to be a quiet domesticated day in, until my landlord called round inviting me for 'a little aperitif' in his garden. Well I wasn't going to say no to the offer of free food, champagne and a sit in the 23° sunshine! Gotta love my pensioner possy...

And I still have another day of weekend to go! Sunday evenings are much nicer without that back to school feeling.

Finally, happy 'Tag der Deutschen Einheit' ... It's been 20 years to the day since East and West Germany reunified as a single nation. Today is also the day that the last £60m payment of WW1 reparations debt is being paid back. Just a bit of culture / history for you all there!

(Sunday 3rd October 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment