Yesterday's long day somewhat caught up with me, so after a much more gentle day there's not as many exciting things to report.
I went into the school today to meet the deputy head. After introductions auf Deutsch, he switched to mostly using English. I know I'm here to learn German but it was soo nice to actually understand properly what someone was on about! Anyways, I spent about two hours with him in which he talked to me about the school, made plans for my first week there (mixture of shadowing different classes and teachers) and then gave me a short tour of the school, stopping to introduce me to anyone who walked past. Some of those teachers are worryingly enthusiastic about me being there!! Also on my first proper day they have their 'Lehrerkonferenz', basically a big staff meeting, in which he intends to introduce me to all 80 odd of their staff - yey...
Wilfried had dropped me down at the school... not quite sure why, but we had to go via a bakery that he wanted to show me. Unfortunately this meant more dodgy German driving. He seemed to feel that pulling out in front of some who then proceeded to beep their horn was all okay as he justified himself (in German obv) with "yeah yeah, you can follow me". Narrow streets can apparently also be navigated more easily by mounting the pavement in order to allow more room for cars to pass!
Also my electronic blinds/shutters create a full-on blackout effect, great for lie ins, nightmare for trying to get up in a morning!
A couple of hours later...
My landlord just popped round with a kettle as he realised I hadn't got one. However, instead of just giving me said kettle he continued to show me how to use it... not just how to plug it in and switch it on, but also how to put water in it! Now either he thinks the English are way behind and don't have kettles, or I came across even more stupidly yesterday than I realised!
(Thursday 9th September 2010)
No comments:
Post a Comment