Friday, 3 September 2010

Less than a week to go!

With less than a week to go before I leave for the land of the Deutsch, I decided the best way to keep you all in the loop with my time out there, would be to follow the trend and join the blogging-sphere. So here you have it, a pre-departure collection of Germany related thought-ettes.

I guess should start by acknowledging just how lucky I have been… Not only have my school actually replied to emails, and promptly at that, but they have also found me somewhere to live - a massive relief! All thanks go to Wilfried, a retired teacher at the school and my new best friend (not that he knows it!). What other ‘go-between guy’ finds you somewhere to live within 10 minutes walk of the school, offers to pick you up from the station (as well as posting your train ticket to you in advance) and sends you a photo of himself so that you know who to look for? Although, having failed at attempt one of packing 9 months worth of stuff into a mere 20kg allowance - I have now embraced reality, admitted defeat and paid for the luxury of a second bag – I think I’ll be fairly easy for him to spot!

With 5 days and counting to what will be year like no other, I’m not going to deny that the thought of actually moving out there makes me feel physically sick. Although with it hardly feeling like reality at the moment, I can’t help but feel really excited about what it will entail. A whole 9 months where I can actually use all that German I have ‘learnt’ … let’s hope for not too many embarrassing moments!

(Not neglecting to mention of course, the shock the school may well receive when they realise I am not the ‘Herr Groves’ they currently have listed on their website!)


Disclaimer: no promises on how frequently I will actually update this!


(Friday 3rd September 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment