Tuesday, 14 September 2010

Day 3 in Bergisch Gladbach (said Big Brother stylee!)

Today I actually had a day to myself – bliss. Except for the couple of times my landlord came to check I was okay, and not bored or needing anything - bless. The fact I was in at the time he called, he obviously took to mean I needed things to do, so invited me round to his (ie the other part of this house) tomorrow evening where, and i quote "we can drink wine". These pensioners I have befriended are definitely showing signs of being alchies! Still, he is very welcoming (even if we are still on ‘siezen’ terms) and my doorbell also now has my name displayed next to it ... you know you're jealous!

This morning I took a much needed trip to my local supermarket, Rewe, about 20 mins walk away. German shopping is going to take some getting used to! Still, the only thing I bought wrong was what I thought to be foil turning out to be cling film. Also after much hunting and many circles round the shop I am now the proud owner of some washing up liquid meaning my growing pile of (really quite posh) dishes could be attended to... yey.

I also bought myself one of these TV guide magazines in hope of attempting to understand what any of my 30 channels are showing. So far I've found Scrubs dubbed in Englisch, the German version of Masterchef - Meisterkoch, and some form of Jeremy Kyle equivalent, all of which count as educational viewing - result.

This afternoon involved an exploratory tour of the town to check out the shops and the sights, and I even managed not to get lost - yes that is an achievement.* I meandered down to the town square, which is distinctly circular, where the annual 'Stadtlauf' (that's a run to you and me) was going to take place. Many tents, barriers, beer and sausages seemed to magically appear as the Bergisch Gladbach big band entertained the not so busy crowd (it was raining, again) with mostly American/English jazz pieces including 'In the mood'. Thousands, well at least hundreds, of children and adults alike set out on their 3km run around the city - a route I’m not envious of!

Also I should add that I finally worked out to use the taps on the kitchen sink. Apparently one adjusts the flow of water, the other sets the temperature... what was wrong with just hot and cold?!



* When walking back from my meeting at the school yesterday (a mere 10-15 minutes) I managed to take the wrong turn down a one-way street meaning I had to pretend it was all intentional as I did an about turn and re-traced my steps. But I know now, when I reach the wine shop, turn right - think I should be able to remember that one!

(Friday 10th September 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment