Sunday, 19 September 2010

A not so welcoming, welcome service and making a friend!

I feel this should almost be two short separate entries.

No. 1 story of the day, is that I mustered up the courage to go to my local church's monthly welcoming service. Well, turns out it wasn't as welcoming as they might like to think! Rather impressively I followed the majority of the sermon (given that can be challenging even in England, I feel it's significantly noteworthy) and could even mumble along with the songs. Admittedly the Lord's prayer auf Deutsch caught me somewhat off-guard, but all of that aside, a welcoming service where you can walk in and leave again without being spoken to (excluding the old lady who asked me to open her bottle for her!), is not quite my description of welcoming. So much for finding friends there then. Still I came away with a free bottle of water so all was not lost (albeit the typically German fizzy kind).

But, no. 2 story of the day...

I have a friend!
Like a real live German friend.
How amazing is that?!
Just the one mind you, but that's one more than none!

As I wandered home I checked my phone to find a text from one of the referendare, inviting me to meet her in Köln this afternoon and that she could show me around a bit. Of course I said yes, so after greeting me as a friend (despite us having only met briefly before) we spent the afternoon touring the city, discovered it was world children's day and hence the riverside was swamped with kids and entertainers, and had a spot of cake and a chat... She can't be that much older than me and turns out she has only been at the school for about 3 weeks and has had the same problem of being mistaken for an Oberstufe pupil, how reassuring. She even told me that I could speak good German, all lies but very polite. She can by my friend haha :)

As for next week, could be a long one. I am shadowing various classes and teachers so will be working well over my 12 hours. Hopefully that will count for something though when I try and ask permission to finish early for Christmas!

(Sunday 19th September 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment