Friday, 17 September 2010

Regressing back to my first day at a new school

Another long day which began with both the secretary and head teacher mistaking me for one of the 'Oberstufe' (sixth form) - fantastic.  I had to be at school for 7.40 this morning, and thanks to the dullest staff meeting ever, I only got back about 4ish - so much for short German school days! If you think English meetings are boring, try going to one where you don't even understand what they are politely airing their opinions about... something to do with the development of the school teaching wise I think. Also they all knocked on the table when they were in agreement. Still I just about survived it unscathed, there was only one near-miss during my introduction where I nearly didn't stand up when asked to as once more my German failed me. At this rate there will be nothing left for me to embarrass myself at!

I spent the day following Klasse 6D (about 12 yrs old i think) through all their lessons. They're a very good and friendly class but it doesn't take long to suss out the future geeks, trouble makers and layabouts! The so-called class speaker was appointed as my navigator should I not know where to go, and although I think some of them were a touch in awe that I was really English, most of that probably disappeared when I opened my mouth and attempted to answer their questions auf Deutsch. When I actually start teaching, all lessons will have to be conducted entirely in English! And no word of a lie, one of the kids in that class is called Ringo Starr.

In their 'Catholic Religion' lesson, I was a little surprised to find the teacher noting down their declared religion in her register. Only 2 kids declared themselves to be not-religious, 2 to be muslim (though one stated which type of Christian she was for whenever being muslim wasn't an option) and the rest said either 'catholic' or 'evangelical'. Everyone around here automatically assumes that you are one or the other.

It's a strange situation though when you are trying to maintain a confident and superior appearance to the students, whilst not appearing presumptuous or more clued-up than you actually are to the staff. Also staffroom politics?! It's not that people are very particular about their set seats at a set table, but the deputy head felt he had to walk me in for my own sake and ask the Referendare (trainee teachers) if I could sit with them! Also, I swear one of the 'Referendare' looks like he belongs in Pirates of the Caribbean! Still a lot of the English department were very friendly and made a point of coming over to say hello, and 3 of them even gave me their mobile number and personal email address. First days are tiring. Zzz...

No comments:

Post a Comment