Friday, 24 September 2010

First week survived!

Well, about 24 hours worth of lessons later (so much for 12 a week) I've finally finished my first full week in my school. I've spent the last 2 / 3 days with English teachers so have actually been able to help out a bit, and dare I say it, almost got close to teaching! Despite how 7 years at QM should have trained me well for early mornings, 2 years of uni was enough for that to be stamped out, and after 5 days of dragging myself out of bed before sunrise, I can safely say - I'm shattered. Hello weekend!

I have been invited out in Köln tonight with some of the younger members of staff and the referendare, not that I can remember the majority of their names! I don't really have a clue where I'm meant to be going, but thankfully my favourite English teacher eventually suggested meeting me at the train station so we can work it out together. Now to figure out what ticket I need and to decide what an appropriate outfit is.... :/

For next week I have been handed over to my second Betreuungslehrer, who has sorted me my timetable for the next few days. Just 15 hours, Friday off, and no day finishing later than 12.20! It's a week to try and meet all the English staff and see as many students of different ages as possible, and will probably be a mixture of sitting and watching / team teaching.

Klasse 5 might become one of my favourite year groups, they're so sweet! Today one class cheered when I walked in, and yesterday I had to answer about 50,000 questions, most of which began with "what's your favourite...?". One of the girls in that lesson made me what is apparently a crossword, though I had to ask and still have no idea how you would solve it, but she seemed very keen. Also in the break today, a different girl came over to offer me a piece of her carrot sticks - somehow I resisted! 

Definitely a TGI Friday feeling today as yesterday required a few problems to be overcome first! I have now managed to acquire and send off a biometric passport photo on order to gain some freedom of movement certification, despite being an EU citizen anyway. Confused? I was. I've also received a phone bill with a fairly impressive extra set up charge that I had no idea I agreed to :( and slightly odd charges for texts and the like. If you ever thought a bill was difficult to understand in your mother tongue, try one all in foreign! Anyway this bill is due to be taken from a bank account which had no money in it, a closed local branch, and the online version not working, fantastic. Still hurdles have been overcome, bank account now has a teeny amount of money in it, reduced by some charge for something else, and my online version appears to be working. I wish I had understood what was going on at the time, Wilfried insisting on doing things for me hasn't entirely worked out! I have new found respect for immigrants.

Sadly the glorious sunshine has morphed back into downpouring rain, and even a spot of thunder (thanks for sharing your weather England!) - the super sexy cagoul look has now been embraced...

Also, important point of note - I am now listed as Frau, and not Herr, Groves on the website :) My gender reversal is complete. Even if no-one here can spell Eleanor correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment