Tuesday, 21 September 2010

Much sleep and another day in school

So last night I slept for the best part of 9-10 hours. Having napped all afternoon I caved in and went to bed about half 8!! I can't even remember the last time I did that. More worryingly I slept all the way through to morning and could have quite contentedly carried on if it wasn't for my alarm beeping at me. Damn feeling ill. Bye bye tonight's social life :(

Today I was meant to be following a biology teacher, potentially challenging seeing as I dropped it as soon as I good. He had mostly Klasse 10 who were studying plant cells - time to dig out my science GCSE! It's amazing what your brain can remember when necessary. His middle two lessons were doing a 'Klausur' (class test / exam type thing for the Abitur) so I picked a friendly English teacher and went with her instead. She would love to speak English with me but having done a placement in England for only 4-5 months she wishes she had practised a little more, so is insisting on speaking German. However, there may be an option for future half English half German coffee meet-ups.

After only a few days in school so far I have learnt that each year group has a very different personality / attitude...

Klasse 5 - are very slow to do anything, literally. Even copying off the board takes an age. Except for the keeno girl. I didn't realise it was possibly to lean that far our of your chair, or wave your hand that enthusiastically whilst in a grammar lesson. Personally i've never found the negation of 'to be' that exciting... However, when faced with a real life English person the most important questions have to be sorted first - how old are you? do you come from England? do you have any pets?

Klasse 6 - are quite sweet. They've settled into secondary school, and are fairly enthusiastic, but still young and innocent. It was obviously also important to them to let me know if they knew anyone who lived in England... think they have been misled on just how small England is!

Klasse 8 - start every lesson with numerous excuses for why homework hasn't been done or certain books have been forgotten. They are also at the age where it is hilarious to add "Sexualunterricht - praktische Übung" to the version of their timetable displayed on the board. That and their inclination to play up aside, they are actually an alright bunch.

Klasse 10 - have done a lot of growing up. They are generally there just to get on with their work and don't need to be told so often to be quiet. Some of the lads on the other hand, do need a bit of an eye kept on them. They'll be the ones trying to wind me up.

The Oberstufe I am yet to meet, but being not that much younger than me, I fear they could easily out-smart me!

Tomorrow entails a day of Deutsch-lesson watching, followed by a day with the deputy head himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment