Tuesday, 14 September 2010

Day 4b - The Dinner Party

So my landlord invited me round for dinner tonight. He had two of his friends over for a sort of dinner party and invited me along - definitely an occasion where I was desperately watching the others to know what the etiquette was! I don't think I committed any major faux-pas, least I hope not! The couple were really lovely (he was called Harold - ace name) especially the woman who supplied me with vocab that I was struggling to remember, repeated things slowly for me, and generally  seemed to be on my side (no I can’t remember her name). So that's another two over 60s that I have befriended since being here!

Anyway this dinner party.... We started with champagne and trout (?) pate appetisers out in the garden, then moved inside and began the main meal with wine and a salad, then a meat course (consisting of more, but different, pate, salami, olives, nuts etc). Next more wine and a cheese course. Then pudding (a yellow plum tart, which I was given the leftovers from) and a different wine. These Germans like their alcohol - 3 bottles of wine and 1 bottle of champagne between 4 people... And people mock students for how much they drink?! Good night all in all though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment